The mission of the Dahlem Little Acorns Nature Preschool is to provide an environment for children to explore, create, imagine, learn and grow through hands-on activities and experiences; to promote social, emotional and cognitive skills; and to instill a lifelong love, respect and understanding of nature.
At Dahlem we believe every child should have the opportunity to enjoy nature and that children are eager and excited to learn by doing. The Little Acorns program promotes learning by:
- Establishing a learning environment that provides opportunity for exploration, experimentation and imagination;
- Developing age-appropriate activities that encourage and promote learning;
- Asking questions and providing the knowledge and experiences to encourage children’s ability to problem solve;
- Encouraging children to work together to achieve a common goal; and
- Enabling children to develop and nurture relationships between peers and adults.
School Year Schedule
The preschool year is August 23, 2017 through May 25, 2018.
- 4-year-old class: Tuesday through Friday: 8:30-11:30 AM; $250 per month (FULL for the 2017-2018 school year. To be added to the waiting list, please call us at 517-782-3453.)
- 3-year-old class: Tuesday and Thursday: 1:00-4:00 PM; $125 per month (FULL for the 2017-2018 school year. To be added to the waiting list, please call us at 517-782-3453. We do still have room available in the Monday/Wednesday class for 3-year-olds!)
3-year-old class: Monday and Wednesday, 1:00-4:00 PM; $125 per month
Classes are held in the Nature Preschool Classroom at the Dahlem Center. There is one classroom teacher and one assistant overseeing each class with a maximum of 14 children per class.
To register your child for the 2017-2018 school year complete and return the registration form and an $80.00 non-refundable registration fee. This registration fee includes a family membership to Dahlem. All completed forms will be dated when received by Dahlem. We will then place your child in the class that you requested. When your child has been placed in a class, you will receive a welcome card and additional forms to complete. A parent meeting will be held in August 2017 to give you an overview of the program. At that time you will receive a parent handbook and a schedule for the year. An orientation for families will be held the week before classes begin. This will give the children an opportunity to visit their classroom and meet their teachers.